Steps for a More Sustainable Wardrobe
Sustainable fashion is more than a trend. It is a movement toward bringing mindfulness into every aspect of your life. Here at Synergy we are all about taking a critical eye to fashion. All that being said, let's get real, not everyone has the means to replace their wardrobe with all organic, fair trade goods. Building a sustainable wardrobe is a process. It requires time and intention. Here are some steps you can take to start building a wardrobe that matches your conscience!
1. Work with what you've got - One of the most sustainable things you can do is wear and love the clothing that you already have. Take a long hard look into your wardrobe and pick out the pieces that you really love. Jot down some notes about why you gravitate toward them (this will help in steps 4-5). Spend some time playing dress up and formulating outfits. Make drawings (or take pictures) of outfits that you feel good in. You would be surprised how much potential is sitting inside your closet. The photo below is via instagram.com/christylnich who is doing a 10x10 wardrobe challenge (ft. a Synergy Dress!). Her feed/blog has lots of sustainable style inspiration!
2. Mend - Is there anything in your wardrobe that you would wear more if the hem was right? Maybe you've got a perfectly good sweater with a tiny little hole in it. Sometimes small projects can feel big. Set aside items that need mending and schedule a time when you are going to tackle repairs. Whether this means taking it to an alterations shop or DIY-ing it, just get it done! Here is an easy tutorial on hemming your pants.
Photo via womensday.com
3. Care - This is all about extending the life of your clothing. Caring for the clothing that you have is a great way to instantly make your wardrobe more sustainable. Make sure that you are following proper washing instructions. This article has some great DIY eco-friendly laundry detergents!
Photo via thespruce.com
4. Daydream - Envision your ideal wardrobe. What type of fabric do you like to wear? What cuts and styles are the most flattering on your body? Research brands that you love and would feel good about supporting. Make sure you're following them on social media or subscribed to their newsletters. That way if there are sales or specials you will know!
5. Make a plan - Plan a budget for the items you really want but can't afford at the moment. Plan ahead for seasonal items that you may want to buy in the future. Avoiding impulse buying is a more sustainable way to shop. Plus, how gratifying is it when you finally hit buy something you've been thinking about for a long time!
Here at Synergy we want ethical, sustainable fashion to be accessible to everyone. Check out our latest releases here. If you're looking for a bargain check out our sale section or Mystery Sale!